Sunday, October 9, 2011

what interests me about design?


What really interests me about design especially after couple of weeks into my course at Lake Washington Institute of Technology is that it seems to be almost a form of psychology. I am starting to see how the masters of art and design really understand how to draw people’s attention to certain areas of their work. Not only do they make a piece that is pleasing to the eye they direct the flow of how the piece is viewed. They manipulate people’s minds through art in a way that I never saw before, or didn't realize that I saw before. They also understand how to shade and how to use the thickness of lines to show depth and make pieces that look 3D. I have always been fascinated by this and as a kid would spend hours drawing race cars and hydroplanes and I could never make them look as good as my brother could. I have never really been able to draw that well and now I am starting to understand why. I am excited to learn more about art and design as the weeks pass and I hope a little rubs off on me!

2 art & design job calls that are currently available that I would be interested in are:

TEKsystems
3025 112th Ave. NE, Suite 200
Bellevue, WA 98004

Graphic Designer

Required Skills:
HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, PHOTOSHOP, EXCEL


Randy's Ring & Pinion

Everett, WA 98204

 Qualifications:

     2 yr.​ college diploma, certificate from technical school or equivalent combination of education and experience.​
     2+​ yr experience with graphic design in a branded business environment.​

    Adept at using the following tools on a continual basis: Mac Computer, Printer, Camera, Scanner, and Photocopier.​

    Must be proficient in the current releases of the following programs:  Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark Xpress, Acrobat Reader, Acrobat Distiller, Fetch (FTP access), DropStuff, Suitcase, Word, Excel, and Outlook.​  All programs preferably in Mac and PC formats.​ Use of Mac software required.​

    In addition, knowledge of the following programs:  Pagemaker, Freehand, Power, Dream Weaver, Flash, and In Design.

    These 2 jobs share some similarities, both require knowledge of the same type of computer programs and you need the same type of skills to get either job. They seem like very different type of companies and the jobs would probably be a lot different. The Ring and Pinion opportunity sounds like it would be a better chance to be more creative and really help shape the direction of a company. They need someone to do all of their graphics for ads and posters and such. That sounds a lot more interesting than the TekSystems job which seems like you work with many people on many projects for many different companies (clients). You may learn more in that type environment working with other designers and sharing ideas. I still think I would prefer the Ring and Pinion opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment